Two months after the phenomenal success of FXX’s “Every Simpsons Ever” marathon, FX announced the long-planned Simpsons World app and website, featuring every episode, curated playlists and a high-level search function that lets users search by character, actor, and (eventually) line from among 3,000 clips.
According to a press release, the app/website will also include:
– “Everything Simpsons,” a dynamic newsfeed showcasing the latest Simpsons news, social media updates, “Did You Know” fun facts, featured episode playlists and clips
– “The Simpsons Heartbeat” which organizes the complete catalogue of episodes by popularity
– A premium video player that will provide recommendations to other clips and episodes users would enjoy as well as the ability for users to share content on their social networks
– A simple, intuitive way to browse through the catalogue by season, playlist, most popular episodes and exclusive video content
– A responsive search function allowing users to find video of their favorite characters and guest stars in the entire catalogue or any of the nearly 3,000 clips
Unfortunately for the bargain-conscious among us, Simpsons World — which will be accessible at SimpsonsWorld.com or through the FXNow app — requires a cable subscription, so cord-cutters won’t suddenly have 500+ free episodes at their disposal. Additionally, one feature that didn’t quite make it in time for launch date is the ability to search episodes by line, but that will be included starting in 2015. Still, it’s a relief to know that one day our kids will laugh at us when we tell them we found Simpsons clips by plugging arbitrary search terms into YouTube in the hopes of finding the right video.
[h/t TV By the Numbers]